There have been moments in every persons life where they feel as if they are alone in this world. They feel as if the weight of the world is on their shoulders and they don't know if they will be able to pull through. That horrible depressed feeling when you are sure that you must be the only person in this world who can deal with what you are dealing with right at that very moment.
And then there is the sadness. The sorrow that comes with the feeling of being alone. That soul deep hollowness that makes you feel half alive, floundering back to the surface even as the waves of depression pull you under the surf. Those thoughts that make you want to cry with the added weight that they add to your...already heavy load. Am I really alone? Does no one care enough to help me carry this burden? How long will I feel like this, and will it last forever? These are the thoughts that depress us.
Depression is the most commonly diagnosed mood disorder in the US [according to the APA] and is more prevalent in women than in men. About twice as much. Is this because women feel like they have the weight of the world on their backs constantly? Is the constant need to live up to societies expectations; to be a good mother, good provider, slim, beautiful, good housekeeper; driving women into a deep pit of despair?
I don't know, nor do I pretend to know...all I can do is speculate. There are moments when I feel as though I am being crushed by the expectations put on me, by others and by myself. Although I am not yet trained to give such advice, in this subject I do have advice to give. Relax...take a moment to breathe. You are not alone, and people do care. Even if; for some terrible reason; your loved ones are gone there are still people out there that care. Those strangers that volunteer to insert themselves into some part of your life care about you, as a human being, enough to put effort into showing you, just how much they appreciate that you are alive.
So breathe, in...out...in...out. And believe me, it gets better over time. Ask for help, delegate, put things off, do something just for you, and remember. No one has to carry the weight of the world on their shoulders by themselves.

No comments:
Post a Comment