Event writing is exactly what it sounds like. It is writing about an event, or due to an event. If something huge happens in your life, good or bad, and you are suddenly struck with the need to write about it, whether in a story, a journal, a diary, or a blog, then that is event writing. As I have taken a step back to analyze my writing style I have found that event writing is all that I do. And truthfully that isn't a bad thing....for the most part.
Let me tell you why event writing is bad. For the same reason that basing a TV show on a single event is bad. Eventually that event ends and so too does the TV show. Understand? Let me explain. Many of my novels in progress are based on events in my life. I read a good book and become inspired by the concept so I decided to change it enough to call it my own and start a book. I fell in love with the writing style of an author and so imitated it using my own ideas. I fell in love and had my heart broken so I made up a story that allowed me to vent about it. Event writing. As with event TV shows, when the event has passed so too does my inspiration. Its like a spark, a flame suddenly lite in one moment only to be blown out in the next. My writing only lasts for as long as I am influenced by this particular event. And sadly that is no way to write.
Now I am trying something a bit different. Sure there are things going on in my life, nothing super big except a breakthrough in my physical health, but nothing that would inspire a story out of me. So I am going to try to write something during this time of my life. When I have no outside inspiration, and nothing but my own imagination to help me along. I won't say that my everyday life won't filter in, after all the saying is "write what you know", but these events won't control my story as they usually do. I would ask that someone check up on me (I do see that people read this blog though I have never had a single comment) and see if I'm still on track with this novel. I plan to finish around Christmas, and then maybe move toward getting it published (who knows, pipe dream?). Check in with me, see if I'm still on track or if life has gotten in the way. Or don't considering I am not accountable to a single person who reads this why should it bother me. Regardless, I will probably put up periodic posts about my progress. If for no other reason than to be accountable to myself through this blog. So here is the plan, try to write without an event....and if that doesn't work out it simply means one thing. I will need to get out and explore the world, cause if I don't gain new experiences then what will I have to write about? ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment