Thursday, August 8, 2013

Be Truthful

I would like to talk about lying, but not lying to one another. I would like to take a little trip into Lying To Yourself. Its actually a very simple concept and one that many people do on a regular basis. When you tell yourself that one more cookie won't ruin your diet, or that telling your child a small white lie is best for them and won't come back to bite you in the ass, this is a form of lying to yourself. Now I'm not saying that doing this is an all around bad thing, especially since most people do it subconsciously and don't even notice. No I am talking about those people out there that know that they are lying to themselves, that continue to lie to themselves and eventually start to believe their lies. This is especially dangerous because once you start to believe your own lies you start to share your lies with others as the truth. I don't plan to rant on this as I find that the subject tends to be so simple it becomes an abstract concept that many just can't seem to wrap their heads around.....no I want to admit my own lying. I have lied to myself for many years that I will be happier if I have someone in my life, romantically. In high school I didn't care if that person was male or female as long as I had someone to claim. In college I settled for males because the drama of being with a female is too much for even me, however, this trend of roping myself to someone has been alive and well within me for years. I have lied to myself many times, saying things like "You won't be happy if you don't get a boyfriend." or "Time is starting to run out, hurry up and settle down." This has becoming more common especially in the recent years. I admit this....I repent this, but I also respect this lie. It has become so deep rooted that it is impossible to fully dislodge. Because of this I feel justified in allowing myself to get this concept off my chest. I am fine being single. I do not need someone in my life romantically to be happy. These are truths, in fact they are well known and wide spread truths....so much so that most people forget about them. I am only 20 years old and have my entire life ahead of me. I do not need to tie myself down to someone when at times I can barley keep up with my own emotions, that isn't fair to the person I am with, and it sure as hell isn't fair to me. Now I know and understand that I will slide down this slippery slope of desperation again as anyone would in my situation, but I hope to impart words of wisdom on all who find themselves in my position. Stop freaking out about it and just live your life. I have found that on the rare occasions when I stop planning every second of every day, when I stop over thinking every single action I make and when I simply go with the flow that everything turns out much better than I ever could have planned. Go with the Flow. Live Life without Interference. And Love Freely....that would be my advice. Although life has no guarantees, living it this way makes things a lot easier to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment